As a result of lower reconstruction costs, shorter construction periods, and lower social costs due to reduced traffic delays, trenchless construction methods are rapidly becoming an economically viable alternative to conventional open-cut construction. The use of trenchless construction methods has also been shown to significantly increase pavement life and reduce pavement maintenance and rehabilitation costs.
As one of the core courses in the epCIP program, the Trenchless Construction course will provide in-depth knowledge of trenchless construction methods used to install new underground infrastructure. The course gives the civil infrastructure professional a comprehensive foundation of knowledge and skills relating to:
- Method selection – trenchless vs open-cut, direct and social costs and environmental benefits.
- Design methods and considerations – site investigation, impact assessment on utilities, risk assessment, life cycle costing, structural designs and services/connections
- Construction – site preparation, traffic planning, specifications, quality assurance and quality control.
- Access point construction – vacuum extraction and open-cut.
- Mainline and lateral trenchless construction – moling, pipe ramming, auger boring, pipe jacking, microtunnelling, and horizontal directional drilling.
Key benefits to the student:
Completion of the Trenchless Construction course will allow the student to:
- Develop a comprehensive approach to trenchless construction method selection, design, specification and construction.
- Understand the implications of construction method selection on infrastructure life cycle performance.
- Information requirements for trenchless pipeline design and construction.
- Attain professional training credits.
Key benefits to the employer:
- Appropriate and cost effective selection of pipeline construction methods
- Competitive and possible lower project construction bids due to better design and reduced change orders
- Reduced pavement restoration and maintenance costs.
- Reduced disturbance to adjacent utilities and services.
- Staff that understand construction methods that minimize traffic congestion.
- Improved infrastructure performance.
- More knowledgeable staff (HQP) that understand available trenchless construction methods.
- Employee training credits that meet or exceed legislated requirements.
Who should apply
The epCIP Trenchless Construction course is designed for engineers, technologists, technicians and others who have a background or working experience and desire to increase their knowledge of sewer and watermain network construction through a university level course.